Good Sam has a opening for a part-time Office Manager/ Administrative Assistant for the church office. We’ll be collecting resumes until January 19, 2018 or until the position is filled. The following is the complete job description for the part-time job.
Job Title: Office Manager /Administrative Assistant
16 hours weekly, normally 8:30 to 12:30 M-Th; $12+/hr. commensurate with experience and ability
This position involves a variety of duties to support Good Samaritan Lutheran Church and the Pastor. Includes providing a physical presence in the front office during office hours, serving as receptionist, screening/directing phone calls, producing printed materials, assisting/leading volunteers, performing some bookkeeping duties, managing database, updating communication outlets and maintaining supplies. This person must maintain a clean, hospitable and well-organized work environment. This position is important to the overall operation of the office and church ministries.
- Directly works under the supervision of the Pastor.
- Indirectly works with all members of the staff/volunteers and key leaders.
- Ability to operate office machines (computer, copier, telephone system, etc.)
- Proficient computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet, Word Press and Mail Chimp experience helpful, but will train)
- Database management (Power Church); but will train
- QuickBooks (basic experience helpful – will train)
- Internet experience and social media experience
- Multitask with ease
- Ability to organize and prioritize assignments
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Telephone etiquette
- Church experience preferred
- Ability to maintain Confidentiality
Areas of Responsibility
- Office machines, supplies and processes
- Database and Membership Information
- Communication (including: Calendar maintenance and Building Use processes; Coordinate News Feed among Website, Connections @ Good Sam and The Grapevine and other publications like Events and Activities Brochure; Update Webpage, Social Media posts and other advertising)
- Light Bookkeeping (including: Pay bills, Log deposits, Prepare reports)
- Worship and Music (including: Produce Sunday Bulletins [normally seasonally]; Report Hymn usage and attention to copyright requirements; Maintain Planning Center for Worship Services; Coordinate PowerPoint development for Worship; Update and maintain the Volunteers for Worship process)
- Other duties and project as assigned
This is a part-time position. Hourly wage will be determined based on education and experience. Hours per week are 16– M-Th, 8:30 am – 12:30 pm, with occasional need for some extra hours per week. Office closed Christmas Day, New Year’s Day, July 4, Labor Day, Memorial Day, MLK Day, Veteran’s Day. Since this is a part time position, there is no paid vacation or sick leave.
There is a probationary period of 6 months. If you feel you need to leave within that time period or we feel that you are not the right fit for the position you may leave or be asked to leave with no questions asked. At the end of the period you will be reviewed and eligible for a raise.
Resume, cover letters and inquiries can be directed to Hiring@goodsam.community
Good Samaritan Lutheran Church
20850 Langley Rd
Lexington Park, MD 20653
Please welcome our new Interim Office Manager, Donna B. Donna has previously worked as a church office manager before she moved into the area. She knows the area having raised her children here and is very excited to be an active part of life and ministry at Good Sam. Donna started on April 16th and will be in the office on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 9am to Noon. Pastor Mitch will answer phones and greet the public on Mondays to fill out our office hours (M-Th 9am to Noon)
Our volunteers assist in greeting the public, and work on specific tasks ranging from developing our PowerPoint slides to assembling our worship leader notebooks to preparing Sunday lessons to filling the font and cleaning the white boards. If you would like to volunteer in the office please talk to Pastor Mitch or Donna B..
Thank you so much for the kind words and good wishes as I wrap up my time in the office. I have truly enjoyed working here and will miss you all. Every member and visitor to the office reflects the image of God and it has been a gift to experience such a beautiful mosaic through my interactions with each of you.
Pastor Mitch, Debbie J., Sue V. and Ele B. have been a joy to serve alongside on a weekly basis for three years. What a team–a supportive group who serve and encourage one another in both the high points and the challenges. I am grateful for all that I’ve learned at Good Sam and believe it will be a blessing in my new bookkeeping position. Thank you to all the office volunteers during the past three years who contributed in a myriad of ways–folding bulletins, covering office hours, and general “pinch-hitting”. Each of your contributions has helped to provide a hospitable environment and advance Good Sam’s ministry in our community. Blessings and God’s grace to you!
Grace and peace,
Jill S., our Office Manager/Administrative Assistant, will be leaving Good Sam as she has accepted a position in her congregation as a bookkeeper. We are excited for her to have the opportunity to be more involved in the congregation where she worships but we are sad to see her go. We are very thankful for Jill’s three years with us. She has brought some very helpful organization, follow-through, and attention to detail to the office in addition to being a great team player and participant. Her last official day with us will be Thursday, April 9. Please take a moment to thank Jill for the gift she has been to us.
As the church office prepares to update the Good Sam directory, we ask that you submit any changes to your contact information that have happened since October. This includes:
- home address
- any phone numbers for you and for others in your household
- any email addresses for you and for others in your household
You can write any information on a yellow Welcome card and put it in the offering plate, leave a note in the office, or email the office (firstname.lastname@example.org). Thank you! Once the directory is fully updated, it will be sent via email.
The church office will be closed Monday, January 19 for the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday.
The office will re-open at 9:00 am on Tuesday, January 20.