(Choose from the following approaches a way of involving your hands, your head and your heart in your journeying. Or perhaps choose one of your own. Invite someone to do this approach with you or to pray for you as you explore this question over the next 40 days. Watch Community Connections (our Wednesday Email, The Grapevine and our website (GoodSam.community) for more opportunities and information.
1. Come to Wednesday Soup and Bread Meal @ 5:30 pm March 4 through April 1 – followed by Vespers (6:30 pm)
Our Worship Theme is: “Will You Have Faith?”
March 4 Hebrews 11:17 “The Faith of Noah”
March 11 Hebrews 11:1, 8-22 “The Faith of Abraham”
March 18 Hebrews 11:1, 23-28 “The Faith of Moses”
March 25 Hebrews 11:1, 29-40 “The Faith of the Israelites”
April 1 Hebrews 12:1-2 “Jesus, the Perfector of Our Faith”
2. Prepare yourself for Sunday Worship by reading the lessons ahead of time.
- Pick up a Lesson Handout on Wednesday at church for the following Sunday. Read, think and pray about what you read in the lessons.
- Join the Thursday brown bag Bible Study at Noon in the Romans Room. We read the lessons and explore them together.
- Also, take the Lesson Handout with you from Worship and reflect for a couple of days upon what you heard in Worship, in the Sermon, in the Liturgy and in your heart.
3. Do your own reflecting, writing, journaling on the nine Fruits or Gifts of the Spirit.
- This list and expression of the Spirit’s work comes from Paul’s Letter to the Galatians 5:22-23, Read Paul’s Letter and reflect on how these gifts come out of you and when and where you are the beneficiary of them.
- See our Epiphany Stars from January 6th Worship (I have a few more on hand. Stop by the Church Office and pick on up ).
- love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
4. Spend some time with ELCA World Hunger Programs and plan to make a difference.
5. Take the S.H.A.P.E. class the explore your Spiritual Gifts Link to Blog post on SHAPE .
- Take the inventory and review the results
- Attend the Class on Wednesday Nights in Lent (7pm)
- Talk with a friend or two about how they see your gifts expressed in your life and character
- Explore new, creative or current examples of where you can use your gifts in life and ministry.
6. Pick a project from Lutheran Disaster Response efforts.
- Educate yourself about what happened and the need.
- Learn what the ELCA is doing in response to the need.
- Make a gift to help the situation.
- Write, announce, inform or help your congregation learn about this issue.
7. Engage in a daily Lenten Devotional
- I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say by Luther Seminary