“God’s work. Our hands.” is everything we do to engage our neighbors in the community around us. As we care, support interact with our community we discover ways that God shows up to make a difference in our lives and in the lives of those whom are serve. This is who we are as the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America – one church, freed in Christ to serve and love our neighbor.
Good Sam Community, we invite you to go and serve now, in our community. Go together and wear a “God’s Work. Our Hands” T-Shirt (get a T-Shirt), take a picture of the activity and see what happens as we serve our neighbors together.
in 2016 we created a set of opportunities to help get you started reaching out to the community. They are listed below. But we also hope you will feel free to find your own activities and follow God’s guiding as you seek to serve your neighbors. And, we want to hear about what God does with you. Tell us what happened and tell your story.
Click Here to find out how to order a “God’s Work. Our Hands” T-Shirt. You can also order and pick up a shirt at Good Sam on Sundays.
“God’s Work. Our Hands.” 2016 activities
Good Sam Community, these are the activities in our community where we served or are still serving. Check out how we did on these activities and make one of your own:
- Project Sack and Pack This project was a great success, we filled 25 backpacks for Carver Elementary and 25 Sacks for the homeless. Our church congregation as well as the community came together and provided the items needed to fill these Packs and Sacks. The community was in need and Good Sam stepped up and provided what was needed.
- Farming 4 Hunger on September 10 about 35 Good Sam people gathered with another 35 from St Nicholas and 50 more from other churches and organizations to gather produce and learn about the kind of healing that can happen when the community comes together to inspire and bring hope to each other. We hope these video clips will help you catch a glimpse of what the event is like:
- Carver Elementary Reading Tutor helping the children of Carver Elementary School by being a mentor/reader/tutor for this coming school year. Training is being provided. We had over 15 individuals sign up to give an hour a week to this much needed project.
- Visit at Chesapeake Shores Nursing Home and help with Sr. activities. (dates and times that need volunteers are coming)
- Evening meals at the St. Mary’s Caring Soup Kitchen went very well this summer, most nights there were up to 30 people feed. If you would like to continue to support St. Mary’s Soup Kitchen call St Mary’s Caring 301-863-5700 and volunteer.
- Red Cross Blood Drive at Good Sam was September 9th and we brook our previous 25-pint donation by bringing in over 30+ pints !
- There is still time to do God’s Work. Our Hand’s! just come up with Your own Idea and Just Do It.
The Backpack Sackers!
The Back Packs Given to Carver Elementary
Some of the Sacks for the Homeless given
to Three Oaks Center