Would you join together in a conversation? I want to talk as a congregation, as friends, as people of faith and as coworkers in the Good News of Jesus. I have a bit of a dream, that we could discover together meaningful ways to identify our values as a people of faith, share stories and hoped for stories that express those values and plan some actions, behaviors and events that would help us give our shared values life and joyful expression.
Really, I wonder if you would dream with me. Good Sam – Would you read a book together this fall and winter and talk about it? I am hoping you will come to share your dreams and interact with the dreams and vision of others in our fellowship. I believe God will speak among us and to us all in such a conversation.
So here is my invitation to you Good Sam, Read with me this book: “Lasting Impact” by Carey Nieuwhof. I have 20 copies in my office to give and share and pass around. It’s available on Amazon (follow the Title Link Lasting Impact).
Here are four ways you can participate in this conversation:
- Read the book and talk with church members about it during fellowship time. Invite a friend to read it with you and talk about it together over coffee. Share any thoughts or discoveries with a church leader, council member or Pastor Mitch.
- Join us on Wednesdays in Advent 7 pm to 8 pm to talk about the book. We will begin Nov. 28th and finish on Dec. 19th.
- November 28, Intro and Chapters 1-2.
- December 5, Chapters 3-4
- December 12, Chapters 5-6
- December 19, Chapters 7 and Conclusions
- Read a chapter and follow the devotional conversation with several Metro DC Synod Leaders on these videos. Here they are: (The first couple are silent for 2-4 minutes, then the sound starts).
- Lasting Impact Chapter 1. “Why Are We Not Growing Faster?”
- Lasting Impact Chapter 2. “How Do We Respond as People Attend Church Less Often?”
- Lasting Impact Chapter 3. “Are Our Leaders Healthy … Really?”
- Lasting Impact Chapter 4. “What Keeps High-Capacity Leaders from Engaging Our Mission?”
- Lasting Impact Chapter 5. “Why Are Young Adults Walking Away from Church?”
- Lasting Impact Chapter 6. “What Cultural Trends Are We Missing?”
- Lasting Impact Chapter 7. “What Are We Actually Willing to Change?”
This activity is not information to share, but a conversation to have together. So I invite you to read the book and find a way to talk about it together.
- Join us for Coffee and Conversations, Sunday Mornings in Advent to talk about these conversations as well.